1. Have each student rub Glo-Germ on their hands.
2. Have each student place their hands under the ultraviolet lamp to observe the “germs”
3. Assign each student in the unit a different hand washing method.
a. Rinse quickly with cold water.
b. Rub hands together under cold water without soap for 10 seconds.
c. Run hands under hot water, lather with soap, rub hands together for 20 seconds, rinse with hot water.
d. Run hands under hot water, lather with soap, scrub nails with fingernail brush, rub hands together for 20 seconds, rinse with hot water
4. Each student should wash their hands using their assigned method above and dry them with clean paper towels.
5. Have the students observe each others hands after washing to
observe the remaining germs. Have them compare the amount of
remaining germs between each other.
6. Have the students complete their observations on the Glo-Germ Activity Sheet.
Surface Cleaning Activity
1. Lightly dust a small amount of Glo Germ powder over an entire surface area.
2. Clean the surface until all visible powder disappears.
3. Pass the UV lamp over the surface; the remaining traces of powder will glow on the areas that weren’t washed thoroughly.
4. Sanitize surface and use glow light again.
Here are some pictures and videos of the students participating in the experiment: